My son has a pair of wired headphones he uses at school that were starting to fail mid-year, so he brought them home to me. It was a rush job to get them repaired for school the next day, and I made some mistakes along the way. Everything worked out in the end, so hopefully this can serve as a guide on what to look out for, and how you can recover.
After my previous video on the solid wood dodecahedron, I made this video to cover the design and making process in greater detail. In this video we cover the use of Fusion 360 to make a 3D model and use it to plan out the jig and fabrication process, talk through how it was made, and problems and solutions along the way.
In this video, I took on the challenge of making a 12-sided shape (dodecahedron) on my table saw. Using Fusion 360 to make a 3D model and plan out the process, I took this all the way from concept to fnished part. This was a really interesting exercise in design and jig design, and made for a fun project.
I was tasked with fixing an unusual storage problem. Large rolls of fabric had been stacked up on a wire shelf that was much too small and not designed for this type of item. The rolls were nearly falling off the shelf, held back by a random length of ribbon that had been tied around them. Despite the poor solution this was the best place to keep them, so I came up with a simple wooden stanchion that could "slot into" the wire shelf and hold back the rolls of fabric. This way we had a better, cheap solution that was easy and not permanent.
This USB Hub challenge was inspired by a project where Giaco Whatever made a USB hub cast in cement, and the video was met with a lot of criticism. A number of fellow YouTube makers, led by Michael Lawing, decided to get together and make our own Giaco-inspired USB hub projects as a show of support, and to show how much good can happen by sharing even a small idea with the community.
To see all the projects in the USB Hub Challenge, check out the USB Hub Challenge Playlist:
For me, this was a fun opportunity to get creative and experiment with some new materials and techniques. I got to plan out, sketch, and model my idea, experiment with the concept, and make it happen. The cement parts were cast in molds made from MDF and packaging tape, placed down on a sheet of glass I salvaged from an old scanner. I need more practice with my router, having blown out some chunks of my walnut, and my first time cutting mortises resulted in some blowouts as well. Thankfully the outside turned out good enough that I didn't have to start over. I learned a lot from this build, and I hope it inspires you to get out and try making something yourself.
Giaco Whatever's channel:
Michael Lawing's channel:
Now that we've established that the programmable box joint jig can make fixed width box joints, it's time to demonstrate variable width joints, and really showcase what software can bring to the wood shop.
In this video we'll be making some simple plywood boxes, with a basic, somewhat decorative variable width box joint.
As a budding woodworker I always wanted to try making box joints. My table saw however was not designed to handle a dado stack. If I could use a single blade accurately I could make wide finger joints, but that can get difficult and repetitive. If I could automate the process, then I could easily cut box joints of any size. After months of development, here is my first test run on the programmable box joint jig.
I want to go into deeper detail on how it was made and how it works. What I really want is to answer as many of YOUR questions as possible, so if there's something you want to know more about, let me know.
My oldest son loves to color these days, and wanted something to hold his markers. Meanwhile, his dad loves to make box joints these days, and was looking for an excuse to do so. As a result, we came up with a simple box-jointed open-top box to use as a pencil (or marker) cup, made to fit in with our dining room decor.
This project also served as a fun upcycling challenge for the 2016 Pallet Upcycle Challenge. The entire project came from a section of thick beat-up pallet wood that I picked up awhile back. At first I thought I would leave it looking "rustic" but I was pleasantly surprised how nice it looked after sanding off the rough surfaces.
MUSIC: "Undone" by Lunova Labs
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License
Portions were repeated to extend the length of the music.
I've been looking for articulating lamp to use for a wall-mounted overhead camera rig, assuming I would remove the light and just use the arm... but why not have both? The light is great for lighting my work, and adding a camera mount is simple and convenient and requires less modification. I picked up the lamp from a thrift sale for $3, made my own simple wall mount for it, and added hardware for the camera mount. This works well for lightweight smartphone cameras. Most lamps like this aren't designed to hold the weight of a heavier video camera or DSLR. Another advantage of having a wall-mounted camera rig is the vibration isolation. If I bump the table, or if a power tool makes it vibrate, the camera remains steady.
For those of you who aren't familiar with camera mount hardware, all you need is a simple 1/4"-20 bolt.
This camera rig was used for some of the overhead shots of my battery station build video.
I'm in the process of building another bigger project, and I needed to make some star knobs for a clamping application. Normally I would draw up a design and go make the part without much detail on video. I decided to dive deeper into this process and show you how I designed this part in Fusion 360, and how I used model parameters (a key aspect of parametric modeling) to make a flexible design that I could easily tweak until I liked it. After modeling, I walk through creating a drawing from within Fusion 360, and how I make it work best for making the parts on my drill press and bandsaw.